Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences - Department of Archaeology

International Students

Welcome! Come study the ancient cultures of the Nile Valley in the modern metropolis of Berlin!


Frequently Asked Questions


Do you have an Erasmus program?
Yes. The Department of Archaeology takes part in Erasmus student exchanges. You can find more information on the Erasmus program page. Or ask the department's Erasmus coordinator, Dr. Agnes Hennig.


Erasmus isn't an option for me. Are there other exchange programs?
Yes. Humboldt-Universität has over 100 partner universities worldwide. Student exchange is one of these partnerships' main goals. Check the website of the International Office to see if your university is a partner or ask your students' advisor.


Can I obtain a M.A. degree in Northeast African Archaeology and Cultural Studies?
Yes. You are welcome to enroll in our M.A. program. These are the requirements:
Good knowledge of German is required (classes and examens are in German). More information on language requirements can be found in the information booklet for prospective students from abroad
You also need a B.A. degree (or equivalent) with least 30 ECTS in Archaeology. Ask the student's advisor of Northeast African Archaeology and Cultural Studies if you are not sure if you fulfill this requirement. Information about the application process, further requirements and administrative steps can be found in the information booklet for prospective students from abroad.


How much is tuition?
There is no tuition fee in the narrower sense of the word. Besides the relatively low living expenses in Berlin, this is one of the financial advantages of studying in Berlin. The current administrative fees (winter term 2017/18) are 314,39 EUR. Included in this amount is the ticket for the public transport in the whole metropolitan area of Berlin (= Semesterticket).


Do I have to learn German in order to study at the Department of Archaeology?
It depends. Our classes are usually in German.  
If you want to become a regularly enrolled M.A. student you need a good level of German. You find more information about the language requirements of Humboldt-Universität on the homepage of the Admission Office for International Students and in an information booklet for prospective students from abroad
If you take part in an exchange program, language requirements are less strict. Please check the information in the guidelines of the specific exchange program.


Do you have further questions? Please, contact the student's advisor of Northeast African Archaeology and Cultural Studies.